Pages

Twitter Follow Me

Follow BoomerBluebird on Twitter

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Nice to Meet You!

Hi Everyone, it is so nice to finally meet you all! I have heard so much about you from Boomer
the Blue bird. Boomer pecked me a message not too long ago explaining to me about this blog created
for Ball's Fall's Conservation Area. Since it is getting colder with each day and food is getting harder to
find, Boomer asked if I would be able to take on the blog while traveling down to Mexico (lucky
little bird!). I gladly accepted the job! I am so excited to write to you all, and let you know what will be
going on around the Conservation Area over the winter months.
My name is Otus, and I am an Eastern Screech Owl or Otus asio. I live at Ball's Fall's
Conservation Area http://www.npca.ca/conservation-areas/balls-falls/default.htm all year round. You
can recognize me by my small size, and pointy ears. Some of my family members are a grey color,
while others are reddish. When were not gliding through the air with our heads tucked in, you can
spot us perched in a tree. We love to make our home inside holes in the trunk of the tree! It's nice and
cozy inside there. Eastern Screech Owls are normally found in many parts of North Eastern America,
all the way down to Northeast Mexico and of course Southern Ontario; Just like me! Some of my
favorite things to eat would be: insects, small mice, snakes, lizards, small frogs, salamanders, snails,
small fish... and well I could go on, but I'm getting really hungry!
If your interested in coming out and spotting me, there are lots of trails around Ball's Fall's
Conservation Area that you can hike. Make sure to wear lots of warm clothes! And don't forget your hat
and mittens. (Stay tuned for a post about “How To Properly Dress for hiking Success”!) You might
want to bring your camera as well, there are many beautiful fall sights that are soon going to be
covered by a blanket of snow.
Here is my address: Ball's Fall's Conservation Area
3292 Sixth Ave., Jordan, Ontario
905-562-5235
Open 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM Daily
*Admission Fee Applies

No comments:

Post a Comment